School of Biological Sciences academic advisors will assist you in developing an individual plan of study that meets your career goals. As faculty members, our advisors stay abreast of student concerns through classroom teaching and their close association with the Biological Sciences Student Government. SBS advisors keep current on advising issues by attending regional and national advising conferences. Our advisors have expertise in pre-med advising, career advising, and issues specific to international students.
SBS students meet with an academic advisor each semester before registering for classes to facilitate progress toward their chosen degree and to ensure that courses selected provide an appropriate academic program. Of course, students are welcome to see an advisor at any time during the semester to discuss their academic progress or concerns.
Undergraduate Programs Office:
- Tammy Welchert, Ph.D., Associate Teaching Professor and Director of Student Affairs and Academic Advising
- Aaron Reed, Ph.D., Associate Teaching Professor and Director of Course Development and Assessment
- Lauren Petrillo, B. A., Executive Assistant
Our Academic Advisors:
- Tammy Welchert, Ph.D.
- Aaron Reed, Ph.D.
- Tara Allen, Ph.D.
- Robert Holmes, Ph.D.
- Jim Benevides, Ph.D.
- Loretta Klamm, M.S.
SBS encourages students to develop a relationship with their assigned advisor. To determine your assigned advisor go to Connect and click on “My Success Network.” Your advisor will be designated as “Assigned Academic Advisor.” You can email or call or schedule a meeting with your advisor from Connect. If your advisor is not available, feel free to speak with any SBS advisor.
- Add/Drop (UMKC)
- Application for Graduation (UMKC)
- Consent to Enroll BIOL 397
- Consent form LS 399
- LS 497 (Directed Studies)
- LS 497WI (Directed Studies-Writing Intensive)
- LS 499 (Undergraduate Research)
- LS 499WI (Undergraduate Research-Writing Intensive)
- Declaration of Major (DOM)
- GPA Adjustment Form (UMKC)
- Petition for Late/Retroactive Withdrawal (UMKC)
- Leave of Absence Request (UMKC)
- SBS Grade Appeal Procedures and Form
- SBS Petition for Exception
- Schedule Proposal/Plan of Study Form(SPF/POS)
- SBS Future Alumni Survey
- Academic Calendar
- Academic Support and Mentoring: (SI, MaST, Coaching, Writing Studio)
- Add/Drop Deadlines
- ALEKS Math Placement Exam
- Computer Labs
- Final Exam Schedule
- Foreign Language Placement Exam
- Language Resource Center (LRC)
- SBS Course Offerings
- SBS Peer Tutoring
- SBS Undergraduate Handbook Fall 2016
- Study Abroad (IAP)
- UMKC Connect
- UMKC Libraries
- UMKC Undergraduate Major Maps
Research for Undergraduates
- Students Engaged in the Arts & Research, SEARCH
- Summer Undergraduate Research Opportunity, SUROP
- NSF-REU Opportunities
- ORISE Research and Internship Programs
- AAMC Summer Undergraduate Research Programs
- Opportunities in the RooNews Archive
Student Services Resources
- Career Services/Handshake (campus jobs and fulltime employment)
- Counseling Center
- Disability Services
- MindBody Connection
- Multicultural Student Affairs
- Office of Student Involvement (Student Life)
- Residential Life
- Student Health and Wellness
- Student Organizations
- Swinney Recreation Center
- Testing Services
- UMKC Central
- UMKC Women’s Center
- USucceed Blog
- Veteran/Military Resources
- Violence Prevention and Response